Saturday, February 17, 2007

Gear lust

My current alpine touring setup consists of Garmont Adrenalin boots, 04/05 Rossignol B3 skis, and Fritschi Freeride bindings. The boots are the most comfortable and responsive I've ever had (including alpine boots), the skis are excellent on powder and crud. But it is a heavy setup for long tours. To lighten up radically would require switching to Dynafit bindings and Dynafit-compatible boots. I actually have an old pair of Dynafit-compatible Scarpa Laser boots, but they are too soft for me on the descent and quite uncomfortable (big-blister uncomfortable) on long tours. (I don't have the time, equipment, or skill to mod them into effectiveness like Lou Dawson suggests). The heavier Adrenalins are so much better that I'm willing to pay the weight premium for them and compatible bindings. The only place left to cut weight are the skis. The Rossignol B3s are heavy fat alpine skis. So, I just put money down on a pair of Ski Trab Stelvio Freerides, which promise to be almost 1kg lighter (pair) than the B3s. I'll be picking them up, mounted with Fritschi Explores, at Bent Gate after my visit to UC Boulder this week.

No comments: